Monday, June 24, 2019

2019/06/24 - Monday - Vacation - Day 04 - Fort - No Availablity

We got going at about 9:00.

First stop was really quick.  Just down the street - gas stop at Flying J.  The pump was not being nice and I had to go into the store to get the pump started.

Next stop was at a Pilot.  After filling up I drove around to the truck parking area to eat lunch.

On our way to Fort Smith National Historic Site we went through some of the flood damaged area on the Oklahoma side of the river.

We did our exploring at the fort and A.M. got her 84th Junior Ranger badge.  I did far less walking then I wanted because of my back pain.  A.M. did go walking around a little more to get more pictures.

As we were leaving the fort area we came across a train/trolley museum.  The big steam locomotive had the front light on - it was a great way to get attention.

On our way to for our night stop and big rig went from the fast lane straight across my lane on to the exit ramp.  I thought I was going to have a new hood ornament.  And with the ABS light being on, I lock up my tires and when I looked in the mirrors I could see smoke.  I thought for sure somebody would hit me from behind.

Well about an hour latter I had somebody come down the on ramp and got very mad at me because did not see the towed van behind me until he almost hit it... (he served very hard to not hit the van).

We pulled in to the Little Rock KOA and they had no available spots for us for the one night.  They suggested another location so off we go.  As we were getting close to the next location there was a road closed sign.  I thought I was in big trouble.  but a gravel parking lot was just barely big enough so I could turn around.  A.M. made some more phone calls but we were striking out. 

Our next stop was a Pilot and determine what is our next option.

We noticed on the way to the Pilot there is an Air Force base near by.  So E.M. suggested that we do the Family Camp on base and off we go.

Once on base the signs and the instruction that E.M. got we were able to find the camp location.  We drove through camp and we got the very last spot.

With the van unloaded, we drove back into town to get dinner

Back at the RV we relaxed and tonight we will sleep in an hour longer because tomorrow is a much short drive.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs