Saturday, April 16, 2011

2011/04/16 - Saturday - Dirt Devils Run - Rattlesnake Canyon

The day started out early - I was up at 5:30!

We (Eric and I) left at 6, but returned to get my bluetooth headset and we are back on the road (only lost about 5 min)

On our way to the trail-head, I realized that I do not have my camera nor my hat (bummers). 

We stopped at McDonald for breakfast (which was next door to the place we others were meeting for breakfast), but I went ahead and headed to Lucerne for my necessary gas stop.

We got to the trail-head for Rattlesnake Canyon about 8:30 and we were the first ones there.  about 20 min later we had one other family join us.  At 9:30, I made a call to find out where our trail leader was at and they were on there way.  The two of us went ahead and aired down our tires.  Finally the rest of the group made it and they proceeded to there air down.

The group finally got moving sometime after 10:00.  Since the last time I have done this run, they have put up signs near the start to keep you speed down to 15 mph through the ranch area.

The canyon seemed to have more sand and several more rocks to keep you slow going.  I did have to strap one of the potential Dirt Devils members.  We missed the little canyon (on the right) near the top of the canyon so no exploring of the mines - also I did not notice any post/signs to stopping you from going into that canyon.

Our leader missed the necessary right turn to head to 2N02 road and we drove about 15 minutes in the wrong direction (I understand that he has done that before).  When we finally started west on 2N02 he found the lunch spot - even though it was about 12:30.

The Droid battery died (even though it was on the charger) and it has corrupted My Tracks - so I have lost all of my recorded tracks!  I did start recording a track shortly after lunch on EveryTrail.

We turned off of 2N02 onto another route that takes you by Heart Break Ridge.  I did spot the two potential members through the hardest spot and it took a little effort for the second guy, but no straps were needed!

We stopped for bit at the end of the trail before heading to the main road (HWY 38).  Once we reached 38 we aired up.  One member head down towards Big Bear while the rest of us headed up on over towards Redlands.

The drive home was uneventful (good thing) and back home to relax.

Well, my left arm is sunburned as well as my face.  Hopefully it does not hurt in the morning.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs