Tuesday, June 26, 2007

2007/06/26 – Tuesday – High, Cold, and Remote

The day started when the alarm went off at 7:30. While I was getting things ready, I also checked the tire pressure on all tires, so all will be good on the tires.

We left at 9:00 and we headed towards Banff

We turned off the highway into Banff, while driving through town (with all of its construction). I found a sign for a Gondola Ride, so I made the drive up the hill and finally found a parking place for the RV and trailer (on the upper lot).

We went to the top and looked around, we also ate lunch at the top.

The next stop was at the Columbia Icefield to explore the Athabasca Glacier. What a drive to the top of the pass, at one point I was down to 25 mph climbing the hill.

We did the “Brewster Columbia Icefield Glacier Experience”. We got one of the last trips to the ice. When we got the chance to get out of the BIG buss, we where standing on about 1000 feet of ice.

After returning to the RV, it was late, so I found the next campground. I tired to get into a spot but it was way to small and I tagged the RV on a tree (no damage – just a little sap was left on the RV). Then I found another site where I could fit, so I was able to back into it. I had to use two 4x4 on the passenger front, one on the driver side, and one on the rear passenger side to get the RV leveled off (of course also using the leveler jacks).

But we did not have Internet because of the trees all around us; But a very nice camp location with the Jonas Creek running next to it – even with all the mosquitoes.

We did watch one of the many movies we brought along – so far the batteries are doing good!

Camp Location:
N 52 25.033, W 117 23.706 – Jasper National Park – Jonas Creek

Big Animal Sightings:
1 – Brown Bear (In Banff National Park)
2 – Black Bear (In Banff National Park)
1 - Deer (In Jasper National Park)
several big horn sheet on the excursion (in Jasper)

Attractions:
Gondola Ride (In Banff)
Glacier Experience (In Jasper National Park)

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs